My kids and I love these games! The Sign of the Great Old Elder God From Beyond is a favorite of my 10 and 11 year old boys.
24 Game Poems
A downloadable game
Originally published circa 2010, now available as pdf here! :D
(I'm more interested in getting these games in folks' hands than making a couple of bucks, so if you can't swing twelve bucks, drop me a line, and I'll totally hook you up.)
What is a “game poem”? Basically, it’s a little game that you can pick up and play in fifteen minutes or so, give or take.There’s no preparation time, nothing to get between you and playing immediately.They generally address some specific mood or emotion, or focus on one particular notion, but not all of the games here strictly adhere to that definition. First and foremost, a game poem is just there to be taken in and experienced with a friend or group of friends for a few moments, and then those moments are over – and hopefully, something small and wonderful will happen in the process.
(I guess folks are calling these "lyric games" now? So, that's cool, it's awesome to see a billion of these out now!)
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $12 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
This collection has always been one of my favorites and a source of endless inspiration. The games excel at setting an atmosphere and using it to convey their simple but focused and imaginative mechanics.
I think my personal favourite is Mask, though each piece has at least a nugget of gold inside.
Reading them inspired me to write my own take on a game poem, though there's nothing like the original.
Hello! What a fantastic game :) I had never heard of Game Poems before, but you've made loving them extremely easy.
* Three old men: I know it is the first one, but you open so strongly! To imagine these men coming back and back again to each other, even after everything they've done, really just puts you in That mentality that permeates the entirety of your work. It also transmits really well the "poem" part of your games, I feel.
* All the color is gone: Probably my favourite one! Colour is such a strong part of my life (many of my memories are reduced to little more than that and what I was feeling) so to see you experiment with that was wonderful. My feelings when I read the person not remembering the colour after explaining their memory..... Ugh so good!!!
* Slower than light: SUCH a good idea... Especially because every time we're face to face with someone we expect instant communication (and often even now with social media). It reminded me of those apps in which you can send "letters" that will take the same amount of time as snail mail depending on where they leave. I love it :)
* Goofball: Fuck !! Never been in the kind of relationship this game poem clearly implies but holy fuck the symbolism of ripping money is VERY potent. Like I don't even think I could play this, and I am not particularly attached to money. But getting approval from the other person just when you rip money... gods.
* We are the only ones left: My second favourite favourite... Heartbreaking like few things I have seen, especially if you play it with real life names as suggested and properly get into the tone that you suggest for the game. I'd rather not think about it x
Anyway this is an extremely long review BUT I was just so struck by your games! They are all so good (I had to tone down my previous list of favourites because it was too long haha) and they evoked SO many different emotions and feelings. Absolutely unreal. Honestly thank you so much!